Saturday, February 4, 2017

Skorne : The Titan Gladiators pt.1

Hi everyone,

So over a year ago, just before Hordes MkIII dropped, I decided to get into Warmahordes.  I had been thinking about it for years, but to be truthful I thought the miniatures were overall awful!  The only factions that really caught my interest where the Rhul, Circle, Legion and Skorne.

Of all these, I like the beasts of Skorne the best, especially the Titans.  So to cut a long story short, I decided to buy into Skorne.  Unfortunately for me, Skorne was the sick dog of the new edition!  So I decided to wait until the errata to see if it was worthwhile to continue with this game or call it quits!

As it turned out the errata did not disappoint.  It breathed new life into the faction and made it competitive and fun again.  So I decided to continue and here I am writing this post.

So the first models I wanted to build were the Titans, namely the Gladiators and the Bronzeback, simply because they are by far my favourite models.

Having bought two old starter sets at 30% off and a new starter set at 20% off I decided to build up two Gladiators, one Sentry and one Cannoneer for the time being.  I went first with the two Gladiators.

Now I am not one to complain too much, but the models in this starter set are AWFUL to model!!!  Not only is the cleaning insane but the material these new miniatures are made out of a nightmare to clean.  I found that the older gray models are overall easier. 

Don't get me talking about the mold lines - they are all in the wrong place.  I have dabbled in casting and I could have done a better job with the mould lines - hands down!



The case being what it is, I rolled up my sleeves and got to work with these models.  It took me a unprecedented 3 hours of cleaning in the end to get the final result before I could prime the Gladiator.  This new material does not take well to sanding, but I found that with a very fine grain and a slow rubbing motion the work can be done.

Then  there was the question of fitting.  Once again I was flabbergasted that a company like Privateer Press could produce such ill-fitting models.  As you can see from the pictures above, nearly all the joints needed filling.  They are behind the curve when it comes to making models and they need to catch up fast!

So after about five to six hours of work I finally got the model ready and primed.  The pictures below show the results.


I will continue with the Gladiators next week, so until then farewell and good health as usual.



      NR

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
/* Sidebar Content */ #'BlogList1'{ height:200px; overflow:auto; } .sidebar .widget{ height:250px; overflow:auto; } .sidebar .widget{ height:200px; overflow:auto; }