Sunday, May 29, 2016

Merkava Diorama - Part 6 A Quick Update

Hi everyone,

A quick update on my Merkava diorama.  I have finally finished the turret and I will soon start on the figures.

I added some extra weathering on the scene with a bit of soot inside the building to simulate burning and give it that sense of abandonment.

I also added some vegetation which I also weathered-up somewhat.  I think it gives the whole scene some life.

The diorama is coming together, but I really need to get the figures done and move on to my next diorama!  I got stuck on this one to be honest and it is something I hate doing.

That is all for this week.  See you in seven, until then farewell and good health.





   NR

Sunday, May 8, 2016

Merkava Diorama - Part 5

Hi everyone,

Today I have a short update about my long-abandoned Merkava diorama.  I remember I got stuck with the turret, so I had to put it aside.

I have manage to get around it now, so I decided to get back in to it.  It will be finished by the end of this month.

This week I worked on the base, adding shades and shading, besides washes and pigments.



I also added some of the little posters I had bought from Model Miniature Company from France. I have to admit the posters to add an extra bit of realism to the piece.



Next week I might continue with another post about this diorama, or I might show what I am doing with the 28mm Dryads for KOW.  Until then farewell and good health.





   NR

Sunday, May 1, 2016

Kings Of War: Converting my Dryads Part 1

Hi everyone,

Lately I have been playing Kings of War (KOW) on a regular basis with my 28mm Wood Elves and my 15mm and 10mm armies. So in the end I decided to convert my Wood Elves to the KOW format.  My army is all single figures which I move around in movement trays. 

Since I do not want to play anymore mass-battle-games where you have to remove single figures - I decided to take the plunge and re-base my elves in KOW style - with multi-bases!

The first unit I am going to work on are my Dryads. I have sixteen of the old GW dryads. Ten are painted and the other six are not.
At first I wanted to create a Hunters of the Wild troop of these models, but I have noticed that there were changes from the first edition Sylvan Kin unit from 25mm base size to 20mm base size.  What a bummer! Extra work!

I could not put ten models on a troop base.  You can put four instead of five models along the front rank, but you cannot fit a depth of two. They were just too big.  So I had to go for a regiment.

Altogether, you can fit 12 models on a regiment base, but I only had ten painted, and to be honest I think they look a bit boring with just dryads. 

So instead of painting up too more dryads, I opted for this guy.  It is an old treeman I have had laying around for years.  I can't even remember what company the model comes from. It is not very big for a treeman and too small for a Shamler. So I have decided to throw him in with the dryads, just to create interest.


This would bring the model count up to 11 models which is withing the legal limit for regiments.


BUT I STILL WAS NOT HAPPY WITH THE UNIT!

The unit needs a leader, and it has one - the dryad with both fists raised - but with a frontage of 4 models his position as leader is visually muted. So I decided to remove a model from the front rank in order to give the leader a better visual presence.
I think the unit looks better, but now the model count is down to 10 models and the unit is a bit empty.  I admit this gave me pause and I had to rammage through my miniatures to find  a solution.

I found one with some 15mm trolls that I had stored up.  I never really liked these 15mm D&D style trolls and never used them, but I think with a bit of converting I can turn them into forest beings.
Also, the three level of sizes gives the unit a less regimented unit style and a more Hunters of the Wild look.  After all they are not spearmen trained in regiment drills!

Putting everything together, you can see that the unit has more interest than just dryads in ranks and files.  Now all I have to do is convert the trolls; paint up the remaining models and glue them all to one single base - and viola my first multi-base!


Once again I have come to the end of another post.  I will be back next weekend, so until then farewell and good health to all.





   NR

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
/* Sidebar Content */ #'BlogList1'{ height:200px; overflow:auto; } .sidebar .widget{ height:250px; overflow:auto; } .sidebar .widget{ height:200px; overflow:auto; }