Monday, April 1, 2013

Dystopian Wars:- Daedalus Part 3

Hi everyone,

Once again I'm back with my airborne Covenant of Antarctica force, but instead of focusing on the models I thought I'd post something about the bases.

I was told by a very wise wargamer and modeller, that every good miniature deserves a good base.  These Deadalus large flyers are great miniatures, so a good base is a minimum requirement.  I usually do not put so much work into wargaming models, but these Spartan Games minis are something special.  At least that is how I see it.  So I decided to embellish them a bit.

I decided to give all three a coastal theme, so I bought some natural cork and cut them up for cliffs.  After I was content with the positioning I glued them into place.  Next I took some epoxy putty and sculpted on some waves and land mass.


When the the epoxy putty had cured, I painted the base's sea and land in with basic colours.  The cliffs I gave several washes with thinned down browns and drybrushed.

A step that is not to be underestimated by a long shot, is the water effects.  For this I used Vallejo's Atlantic blue Water Effects to sculpt in the waves and foam splashing on the cliffs. 

When the water effects was dried, I re-painted parts of the blue areas for better depth and painted the the splashes white and let it dry properly.  Finally I gave the sea area a coat of gloss medium (except for the white water).
I then painted the land areas with burnt umber and added some flock.  Overall a simple few steps that in my humble opinion gives a very catchy effect and complements these fantastic minis in an appropriate manner. I will post some pics of the bases with flock at a later stage.

Well that is all for now.  Until my next post;

Farewell and good health,


        NR

4 comments:

  1. Those are quite beautiful good sir. If I was wearing a hat I would tip it. Great stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Runitsgoggalor, I'm glad you liked them. And thanks for the comment.

      NR

      Delete
  2. Excellent work. Those look great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the great comment. Just so you know, I have tweaked those bases a bit and I will be posting up another article about them soon, besides some other bases for my naval and aerial forces.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
/* Sidebar Content */ #'BlogList1'{ height:200px; overflow:auto; } .sidebar .widget{ height:250px; overflow:auto; } .sidebar .widget{ height:200px; overflow:auto; }