Sunday, May 13, 2012

15mm Dwarfs - First painted Unit

Hi everyone,

One of the great things about wargaming in 15mm, is that you can build up armies quickly, simply and efficiently.  There is no need to paint in details of every single miniature.  One can paint in block colours with a quick wash to tie up the figure.  The results are visually pleasing on a unit scale rather than a miniature level.

The unit of Dwarven veterans was painted up over two evenings. The models are from the old Grenadier Models that are now produced by Mirliton Miniatures.  I spent a total of 5 hours on it.  Now for me that is quick, considering that I have always been a slow painter.  I think the unit looks quite acceptable for gaming purposes on an army level.


This ease of preparation allows the gamer to focus more on actually wargaming rather than painting.  It is also ideal for those that do not enjoy or are not very good at painting, to build up armies that are visually stunning in a short time with very little hassle.

I will be posting more units of my army as I finish them off, and I am also thinking about writing up a post about the actually wargaming in 15mm and its advantages.  I hope you all find it interesting.

Well that's all for today, and as always -

Farewell and good health,

       NR

2 comments:

  1. Hello Night Runner,

    I hope things are going well. I was very sorry to hear about your house (to the point where I was not sure how to respond). However, I am glad to see that you are doing better and are still able to spend time on a hobby you enjoy.

    Anyways, that is a nice little army you are building. I look forward to seeing a picture when it is finished.

    I thought I would offer a few comments regarding this post. (they are intended to be constructive and to reciprocate the benefit I have received from your blog).

    A friend once told me the following: when painting large blocks of infantry, putting a bit more effort into the front rank increases the appearance of the whole unit. The models in the back can still be done quickly, while the extra work on the models in the front will give the impression that the whole unit is painted up to that standard.

    That might not be of any use to you, and I don't know if it applies to 15mm models. However, your post reminded me of it, and so I thought I should share.

    Regarding the drummer: to my eyes, he seems to stick out too much. I think it is because of the white clothing and lack of red. It is as if he is from another unit which is painted in a different scheme. What if you painted the piece of fabric covering his shoulders in the same red used on the shields?

    Finally, I like the orange beard on the standard bearer. It adds a nice splash of colour to the unit; a few more orange beards might look nice!

    Take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sigismund,

      Now that's a great critic and I am pleased to say that you are right! The drummer does stick out. I also noticed that I should have painted his helmet bronze as well. But it has already been corrected.

      As regards the red beards, I will will definitely add more with the next unit.

      Thanks as always.

      NR

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
/* Sidebar Content */ #'BlogList1'{ height:200px; overflow:auto; } .sidebar .widget{ height:250px; overflow:auto; } .sidebar .widget{ height:200px; overflow:auto; }