Thursday, January 27, 2011

The Wolf Guard Diorama - Part 2

Hi everyone,

I have just finished painting up the Wolf Guard in this diorama.  It was harder than I thought it would be.  Since it is the focus point of the diorama it had to be done well, but I wanted a more realistic look than the over-highlighted look (which I like by the way).  So I opted for less highlights were possible and more battle damage.  I also chose to paint with metallics rather than make it look like metal with non-metallic paint.  I was hoping it would give it a grittier feel to it.



The next step is painting the blood on the chainsword and adding some dust effects when it goes into the diorama.  Does anybody know what colour orc blood is?

Now I have 3 orcs left to paint up and the diorama itself.  Unfortunately I cannot start the stand until I receive the wooden base, even though I have all the parts, so I will start the next figure which is the Orc being strangled.

Farewell and good health,

       NR

7 comments:

  1. Would you mind listing which colours you used on the skull at the very top of the model? Mine are coming out lighter in the recesses, and I prefer the look you achieved.

    The wolf pelt combined with the cloak is nice and subtle. Again, a conversion I didn't notice because it was done so well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sigismund,

    I don't mind at all. It is only Vallejo's Ivory (70918) from their model colour range. I then gave it two washes of Badab Black (Citadel). I then carefully and gently drybrushed the elevated areas with Ivory and afterward an even lighter drybrushing with pure white. That's all.

    I hope it helps, and let me know how it worked out for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, very nice! I love the subtle highlights! I cannot wait to see the finished diorama.

    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks! I will try that.

    It seems a comment from my original post didn't make it in. Not sure how that happened. Anyway, it went something like this: I'm not an expert, but I would call your attempt at more realistic painting a success.

    And I have to second Big Jim. Look forward to seeing this finished!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the encouraging comments! and Sigismund you are more than welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Man, I need one of those backpacks for Skarvald. How do you do your gold/bronze? I'm curious.

    Also, ork blood is black.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Skarvald the Troll-faced, sorry I could not answer straight away. I have sent you an email.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
/* Sidebar Content */ #'BlogList1'{ height:200px; overflow:auto; } .sidebar .widget{ height:250px; overflow:auto; } .sidebar .widget{ height:200px; overflow:auto; }