Saturday, December 25, 2010

Splintered Light Miniatures - Orcs Review

Hi everyone,

Before I start, I would just like to emphasize that I am not into the business of reviewing all gaming products and miniature ranges in general. I just offer my opinion of the products I have bought and chosen to use and that I would recommend to others. So you will not find any negative reviews of products I do not like or endorse, but objective critique on products that I do own.  With that out in the open , let's begin.

Today I would like to take the time to review the range of Splintered Light's range of 15mm orcs.  There are several 15mm fantasy ranges on the market, some have disappeared, others have returned and new companies sprout from time to time.

Splintered Light Miniatures is one of the latter.  The company has been around since 2005 and since then it has produced a very good range of 15mm fantasy ranges.  Today I will review their Orcs.

To cut to the chase, of all the orc models out there at 15mm, Splintered Light's are currently the best at the moment.  They outshine the competition and they are so good in my humble opinion that I have decided to model my 15mm Orc & Goblin army around them with respect to scale and look.

When I saw these figures on their website I could not believe that they were 15mm scale.  They are extremely well detailed and their proportions are very well formed.  They do not have that comical or squatish look to them that so many other ranges suffer from at this scale.

Below are some pictures of their rank and file Orc Warriors and Orc Command packs.


Orc Command
Orc Warriors
The Orc Command pack contains 6 models of 3 different types of figures - an Orc Chieftain or Warlord, a standard bearer and a shaman.  The orc warriors pack contains 12 figures of 3 different types of warrior models as seen in the pic above.  They are very reasonably priced at $5 for the command packs and $8 for the warrior packs.  Considering the quality I think it is a deal.

The Savage Orc range is a newer addition.  The amount and variations are the same as the Orc warrior range, but instead you get Savage Orcs.  Like the former, these orcs are little gems and will make an excellent addition to any orc army.

Savage Orc Command
Savage Orc Warriors
The only critique I can forward on these figures is that maybe they would have benefited from one or two extra poses in the orc warrior and savage orc warrior packs.  Other than that it would be an exercise in nitpicking to try and find any fault in this range.

I only hope that in the future Splintered Light hire the same sculptor to do some orcs with different weapon options and maybe some black or greater orc types.  Mounted orcs on war boars would also be a splendid addition to this already spectacular range.

I will be doing a review in two days time of their goblin range so be sure to check them out as well.

Farewell and good health,

       NR

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
/* Sidebar Content */ #'BlogList1'{ height:200px; overflow:auto; } .sidebar .widget{ height:250px; overflow:auto; } .sidebar .widget{ height:200px; overflow:auto; }